Monday, March 4, 2019

MONOPRINTS: CINDY'S CHALLENGE #2

Monoprints - Sunday Play Day: Cindy's Challenge #2

Monoprint: a form of printing where the image can only be made once, usually onto paper from a smooth surface such as glass or metal


Sunday Play Day is a day I set aside every week to just 'create'! Sometimes that means just sitting at my desk and staring at my scribbled sketches and letting ideas flow, or not, as the case was yesterday. I considered throwing in the towel several times over the course of the day and even still this morning! 

Cindy sent me a link to Julie Warner's YouTube video at SplitcoastStampers. (HERE) She used pigment inks to create monoprints and then made them into cards! They were beautiful! 

My first detour was the fact I only owned two pigment inks, white and black. I have Distress Oxide Inks which are pigment ink but also have dye ink mixed within. 

Distress Oxide Monoprints

I just couldn't seem to get a smooth coverage of ink from the felt Oxide pads to my work surface. Which made it nearly impossible to get any texture designs off the smooth surface. 

Distress Oxide ink pad smooshed onto craft mat.


I found several computer mousepads that were rather dense. This would allow for imprinting into the foam to take place. Having added ink, in an area to cover a 4 1/4"x 5 1/2" piece of cardstock, I used different tools to create patterns. 







A leaf stamp from Altenew's A Beautiful Day stamp seta solid, five petal flower stamp, the Cuttlebug Gingham embossing folder, bubble wrap, and a fork were some of the tools I was most successful with! 

Cardmaking

A silhouette stamp of some oats from the Meadow stamp set by Inkadinkadoo was placed upon the yellow/tan monoprint. The panel was cut to 4"x 5 1/4" and the edges were distressed with the Tim Holtz Distress Tool. 

An image of a rooster from Unity Stamp Co's New Day Rooster Stamp Set was added to the red gingham monoprint. A circle die was used to cut around the image.



The image of the rooster was raised by foam tape and placed upon a nest of thin twine. Both were placed onto the silhouette of oats. This panel was then added to a top-folding 4 1/4"x 5 1/2" 110# Kraft cardstock base.



To finish it off, a sentiment was stamped on the same gingham monoprint. It was cut with a circle die, distressed and added to the inside of the card!




Now, this was a CHALLENGE! but wait until you see what I did for the next blog...

I hope I have inspired you to try making monoprints and using them in your card making adventures! As always, I would love to see your work! Post your creation here in the comments or on my Facebook Page!

Lori Ellen Designs Facebook Page

Make Cindy's Challenge part of your Creative Week! March is National Craft Month so keep an eye out for discounts, sales, and coupons at your local craft store. Watch for STEALS & DEALS on my Facebook page! I will also post as I come across blog hops, Card Challenges with prizes and giveaways!

Thank you, Cindy! I really enjoyed the challenge! And I look forward to the next!

Artistically and Lovingly Yours,


Below I have a list of some of the items I used in making this card. I added some of my favorite tools also. Clicking on the picture will take you to more information.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY SHOPS so I am not selling items. Feel free to comment or contact me with any questions!



A Beautiful Day Stamp Set

Gingham Embossing Folder


Meadow by Inkadinkadoo

Unity Stamp Co. New Day Rooster Stamp Set



















No comments:

Post a Comment