Wednesday, January 23, 2019

FANCY FOLD: Z FOLD SPINNER CARD

Fancy Fold: Z Fold Spinner Card

Third in my Valentine Series this year, 2019, is 'OTTERLY' adorable! I really enjoy making fancy fold cards but when they have an interactive element...WOW! 

I made two Z Spinner cards. I was inspired by Jennifer McGuire's YouTube video: Z Fold Spinner Cards. When you are done reading my blog, please return to this link to see how her cards turned out.

Prepare the Card Base

I cut and folded in half an 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" piece of cardstock creating a side-fold card measuring 4 1/4"x 5 1/2". 

Using an original-sized Misti, I used the Wavy Coloring Book background stamp to stamp the front and back of the 100# Audrey Blue cardstock from Simon Says Stamp and the Floral Fantasy background stamp to stamp the Cotton Candy Cardstock from Simon Says Stamp. If folded in half first then stamped in the same spot on each of all four sides of the card, there should be a continuous print when the front of the card is folded.

Stamping background with one shade darker
than cardstock to create a tone-on-tone effect

I folded the front of the card, at 2 1/8", towards the fold. After deciding to use an otter image from Otterly Love by My Favorite Things and a piglet image from My Favorite Things Hog Heaven Stamp Set ,  I die-cut the right size circle from the Infinity circles by Hero Arts on the second flap. I also cut the same size circle out of white paper. 

Die-cut circles from white cardstock
 and folded card base

Preparing Image


In order for the spinner to have the same image on both sides, I had to Mirror Stamp the image. This was done by stamping the image onto a piece of acrylic, then taking the acrylic and putting it ink-down onto the white cardstock. I gently rubbed the image to transfer the ink. When I removed the acrylic, there was a reverse image of the stamp. For the edges that didn't stamp well, I used a micron pen to trace them in.

I stamped then colored my images with my Spectrum Noir Markers. I chose to fussy-cut the images. A small, very sharp scissors like the ones from Cutter Bee work excellently for this project!

Cutting piglets with a heart!


Once cut, I colored the edges and took a suggestion from Jennifer McGuire. I colored the back of the image as well, along the edge. If I didn't cut exactly on the line or if the image didn't perfectly match up, it would not be noticed.

Coloring the edge of the back

Putting the spinner together

I used clear sewing thread and sandwiched it between the front and back images down the center. I then glued the thread along the back of the fold, with the image centered in the cut circle.  I pulled it taught and held it with washi tape.

Holding the piglet taught and centered
with washi tape

While that was drying, I stamped small images coinciding with the piglet and otter onto the white circles.  Once the piglet image was dry, I folded the card, in half, then the front in half again, taking the flap towards the first fold of the card.

I fitted the circle in the space in the card base and glued it. Choosing a sentiment, I cut it before I attached it to curve around the stamped circle and used a clear acrylic block. 

TIP: After performing surgery on the sentiment, don't worry, it's easy to piece back together.


I stamped the sentiment "I'm tickled PINK for you" on the card for the piglet. "There's no Otter like You" I stamped on the card for the otter. I used Versamark ink and heat embossed both with Ranger's Fine white Detail Embossing powder and a Nicole Heat Tool.

Curving the embossed sentiment


I wound up the piglet before closing the card. When I opened it, the image spun!!

These cards were so fun to make! I made a total of four cards, two cards of each design. I hope you will try making this card! I would love to see your work and others would love the inspiration! Please post a picture in the comments or on my Facebook Page at 

Lori Ellen Designs Facebook Page


Four Z Fold Spinner Cards

Thank you for spending time with me! I look forward to the next time! In the meantime, check out my Etsy shop as well. I have cards I have shown in many Facebook groups on sale there! 

Lori Ellen Designs Etsy Shop


Remember, great things happen to those that create!

Below I have a list of some of the items I used in making this card. I added some of my favorite tools too. Clicking on the picture will take you to more information.


I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY SHOPS so I am not selling items. Feel free to comment or contact me with any questions!

MFT Hog Heaven Stamp Set

MFT Otterly Love You Stamp Set

SSS Audry Blue cardstock

Cotton Candy Cardstock

Wavy Coloring Book Background


Floral Fantasy Background

Hero Arts Infinity Dies

Ranger Fine Detail White Embossing Powder



Nicole Heat Embossing Tool








No comments:

Post a Comment