Friday, January 25, 2019

SKETCH CHALLENGE #4

MFT Sketch Challenge #4: You & Me


I knew exactly what I wanted to do when I saw this sketch! I was cleaning/organizing my craft room and came upon some gorgeous handmade paper and a beautiful stamp set. So I zipped through putting this together, only slowing for the pictures I took. 

Sketch Challenge Jan. 23-29, 2019


MFT Sketch Challenge 421


I was so excited to find I had a piece of cardstock that would match the gray in the pattern paper. I used Simon Says Stamp's Smoke Gray #100 cardstock for the base.

Elements I found in my stash to
compliment the handmade red/gold paper I found.

I wanted to make it look more regal so I added a strip of gold along the edge of the paper. 

TIP: If you overhang the strips, you can turn the cardstock over and trim it off.

The card base measured 4.25"x 5.5". The white panel is Strathmore 100# Smooth Bristol. The glitter paper is Levylisa Gold Smooth-Soft touch cardstock. 

I used the You & Me Love stamp set included in the January 2018 Hero Arts kit of the month. The stamp set is not available but I found the Hero Arts JOY stamp set that has an awesome ampersand (AND sign). I stamped the ampersand and measured out the sizes of circle dies I would need to create a window.

Stamped ampersand using
Altenew Crimson Red ink mini cube

I cut a circle out of the front panel and a larger one of acetate. 

Die cutting circles for the front of the card.

I used the red ampersand and added Simon Says Stamp's Antique Gold embossing powder to heat the intricate scrollwork.  

TIP: I use the regular Misti almost always for my stamping with clear or cling rubber stamps. If I don't get a good impression the first time I can restamp the image in exactly the same place. The cardstock is held with very, very strong magnets. I can also match up multiple layers or straight sentiments! I can't stamp a straight sentiment at all!!

Adding a gold flourish upon the red ampersand.
I cut the ampersand out with the biggest circle die. 

After adding Scotch Foam tape to the back of my panel, 

TIP: Burnish your foam tape. It will stick much more securely to the paper.

I put a pile of iridescent sequins in the center of the red ampersand. YES! I was making the circle in the sketch into a shaker card! I removed the backing from the tape and placed the panel on top of the ampersand.

Foam tape on the back of the panel

TIP: Putting the sequins on the backing of the shaker element helps to see the back and center your image by looking through the hole.

TIP: Add powder from EK Tools powder tool or something similar to prevent the sequins from sticking to the sides.

This window/shaker panel was put onto the gray card base. 

Next, I added a sentiment that reads "you & me" over the bottom 1/3 of the circle. 

I finished it off by stamping the inside with a simple "I LOVE YOU". Here is the finished card!

Finished My Favorite Things
 Sketch Challenge 421

I can't believe how easy this card came together. I usually sit and mull over what color, paper pattern, etc. to use. I love the challenge and sometimes it takes hours for me to come up with a card design. To see some of my other cards, please check out my Etsy shop! 

LoriEllenDesigns Etsy Shop

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! I hope that you will try this sketch and consider entering it into the Challenge. The winner is randomly chosen and wins a $50 gift voucher for the MFT shop! 

Of course, I would love to see your work and have you inspire others! Paste a picture in the comments here or on my Facebook page!


Remember, great things happen to those that create!


Below I have a list of some of the items I used in making this card. I added some of my favorite tools also. Clicking on the picture will take you to more information.

IAM NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY SHOPS so I am not selling items. Feel free to comment or contact me with any questions!

Simon Says Stamp Smoke Gray Cardstock

Strathmore Smooth Bristol paper

Gold Glitter cardstock

Hero Arts Peace, Love & Joy Stamp set

Red Sunset Mini Cube Set (Velvet ink cube)


Antique Gold Embossing Powder

EK Tools Powder Tool












.










No comments:

Post a Comment