Friday, April 26, 2019

ALCOHOL MARKER BACKGROUNDS

Alcohol Marker Backgrounds

Hello, my friends! Happy Easter to all! 

"This is the day the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it!"
Psalm 118:24

Easter Bunny with gifts for you!

I apologize for the absence of inspiration to you all! Life has dealt me some curves but the positive end of it is, I have left the situation behind. I have been a victim of Domestic Violence. While some will not approve of my candor, I speak loud and clear to others that you do have a voice and you can be SAFE! I hope to someday be in a place where I can volunteer the knowledge of my situation towards helping others. That is one reason I decided to mention it in my blog. I endeavor to stay positive! 

Now onto the fun!

Supplies

The supplies are minimal. 
~Alcohol markers in any color you choose
  (Sharpies or anything similar works just as well!)
~Glossy paper or photo paper
  (like the glossy paper you get free with a printer)
  ($.99 stuff from Walmart works well!)
~empty spray bottle
  (the smaller the better)
~sandwich baggy
~plasic bag 
  (something plastic to protect your work surface)
~piece of paper towel 
~plastic gloves (optional)

Technique

Make sure you cover your workplace. I just tape a plastic grocery bag to my desk. I also wore plastic gloves, like nurses wear, so my fingers didn't stain.

Cut your glossy paper into 4 1/4" x 5 1/2". You should be able to get 4(four) pieces out of an 
8 1/2"x 11" sheet of paper.

Place a 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" piece of paper, it can be copy paper, into a sandwich baggy. Close the baggy. This will be used as a template, a place to lay your paper and know where your colored marker is. 

Choose the colors of marker you would like to use. Start with just 2(two) until you feel comfortable with the technique. The colors should also complement each other. You will not want to create mud on your paper!

Using the paper in the baggy, color onto the baggy where the white paper shows through.  Color over the edge of the paper a little. It's alright to go across the edges of the different colors slightly. The coloring does not have to be in any special design. I just scribbled! If you do not color an area, it will stay white.


Scribble with alcohol markers onto baggy.
Use the white paper inside as a guide to color on.


Pour some Isopropyl alcohol into the spray bottle. Once you have colored the baggy, spray the alcohol onto it. I spray slowly until the area is glossy with dampness, almost runny. 


Puddle of the marker and
 plain alcohol sprayed onto the baggy


Take a piece of your glossy cardstock and lay the glossy side onto the wet marker. Use your fingers to gently rub the back of the paper so there are no air bubbles. It is going to seep onto the paper on the back a little so don't be alarmed.


Glossy side down onto marker/alcohol puddle


Pick up your paper by the corner and lay it onto the piece of paper towel. Isn't it beautiful! The colors mix and it creates an amazing background! You can cut it and use it in your die cutter. The paper you created would make a beautiful butterfly.


Beautiful pastel print!


Colored alcohol will dry fast on the paper.  You will be able to stamp on it. Use Stazon, an ink that will adhere to the glossy surface. Stazon will take a little while to dry. It is best not to use your heat gun to dry it, just let it air dry. 

Clean up between each color combination is easy! Just use a paper towel to wipe the baggy clean of leftover alcohol and ink.

Cleans easily with paper towel!


I do not have all of my supplies at my fingertips but I was able to create this simple card. 

For my card, I cut the frame to 4"x 5 1/4" before cutting out the inside. I measured and drew a line on the back of the background I created. I then cut on the line carefully with scissors. It was easier with the remaining inside piece, to trim it 1/4" all around using my trimmer. Make sure you cut it equally on each side. Do not just cut a 1/2" of one side. You will want the paper to look like it's continuing from the frame to the inside piece of paper.

I used Scotch foam tape, cut in half, down the middle, length-wise, to raise the frame and placed it onto my white card base. I used Stazon Jet Blak ink to stamp my sentiment on the trimmed paper. I taped the piece inside the center of the raised rectangle frame without raising it. 

Finished card front


Voila! This card front is finished! Using the right colors, perhaps this would make a great masculine card. Using the scraps from the trimming I did, I was able to decorate the inside of the card as well. 

Inside of card

I hope you will try this simple technique! It was a neat idea to try on a sunny day. 

Stop by my FaceBook page and feel free to post your alcohol marker creations!

I would love it if you looked at some of my card creations at my Etsy Sight...

Please share this blog with your friends! Happy Spring!

Artistically and 
Lovingly Yours,


Spectrum Noir Alcohol Markers

Copic Pastel alcohol markers

Isopropyl Alcohol


Glossy Photo Paper

Scotch Double-Sided Tape






 









2 comments:

  1. I cant wait to try this. I have been wanting to learn how this is done! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool...Will Have to give this a try! Stay strong and positive. You have been so brave to remove yourself from the situation you were in. You are an amazing creative beautiful person. I hope one day you find yourself able to help others get through such a tough situation. God Bless

    ReplyDelete